Tudor Elsyng Palace – Saturday, 22nd July 2017
CBA London visited the excavations being undertaken by Enfield Archaeological Society on the site of the Tudor Elsyng Palace, explaining the history of the site over the past five centuries and what the excavations have revealed. The day also included a visit to Forty Hall, the historic Grade I listed house in whose grounds Elsyng once stood. The Hall has undergone extensive restoration in recent years, and the grounds (a Scheduled Ancient Monument) contain formal and informal gardens, lawns and meadows, lakes and ponds.
Charterhouse – Saturday, 16th September 2017
CBA London were given a behind the scenes tour of the Charterhouse led by one of the resident Brothers. Since 1348, the Charterhouse has served as a monastery, private mansion, boys’ school and almshouse. After use as a plague burial ground during the Black Death in 1348, the Charterhouse was built in 1371. This Carthusian monastery flourished throughout the later medieval period until the dissolution of the monasteries, when it became a mansion for wealthy noblemen. In 1611 Thomas Sutton bought the Charterhouse and established the foundation that now bears his name. Thomas Sutton’s will provided residences for up to 80 Brothers, as well as Charterhouse school. Today , the Charterhouse remains the home to a community of Brothers.. It is also custodian of a wide range of historic objects which have been acquired over the course of its 660 year history.
Kirkaldy’s Testing Museum – Saturday 17th March 2018
CBA London had a private visit to the Kirkaldy’s Testing Museum, one of London’s most distinctive and unusual museums. it houses David Kirkaldy’s universal materials testing machine, the huge hydraulic powered machine he designed and had built in Leeds in 1866. Still in working order, the machine was demonstrated for us, and we saw the collection of smaller testing machines, all in the premises Kirkaldy built to house the facilities – now a grade 2* listed building, located near Tate Modern.
Tha Painted Hall – Saturday 28th April 2018
CBA London had a unique visit to the Painted Hall at the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich led by trustee Peter Moore, featuring a tour of the highest and deepest parts of the building. Within the Hall is Britain’s largest painted ceiling, painted between 1707 and 1726. Because of a major conservation project it is now accessible in a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The tour was given via a 60 foot high special observation deck where we discovered the painting’s mysteries as they are revealed for the first time in half a century. As part of the refurbishment works, archaeological investigations by Pre-Construct Archaeology in the lower hall have uncovered the remains of Tudor cellars, once part of the priory or palace, which contain bee boles, arched recesses for the storing of skelps (woven bee hives) through winters.